Thursday, June 9, 2011

aspiring world changer.

“There is but one coward on earth, and that is the coward that dare not know.” 
During my internship in Chicago, I will be working with the Children-at-Risk program. We’ve begun working on our advocacy project, and in order to do so, we need ideas. We were given some websites that have done really incredible things, so today I began researching.
demiandashton.org - an organization that is striving to “raise awareness about child sex slavery, change the cultural stereotypes that facilitate this horrific problem, and rehabilitate innocent victims.”
As I’m sitting here at my desk, my heart is breaking. 
Facts about sex slavery:
- The global sex slavery market generates $32 billion in profits annually.
- Two million children are subjected to prostitution in the global commercial sex trade.
 - In just the United States, between 100,000 and 300,000 children are enslaved and sold for sex.

The average age of entry into prostitution is age twelve. 
Age twelve
At age twelve the average girl is in seventh grade, concerned with absolutely nothing other than clothes, makeup, and cute boys. Yet there are over one hundred thousand children sold into sex slavery in the United States alone, two million worldwide.
Every minute, two children are sold.
I just want to fix it. I want to comfort the broken hearted. I want precious children to know that they are beautiful. I want them to know that they have a Father that loves them, even though they feel completely unlovable. I want them to know that they are not  forgotten. 

“Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.” 

1 comment:

  1. I always hate reading/researching these facts because it is so heartbreaking. I read it and immediately get overwhelmed. I can't do enough to save 2 million children. And then the Lord reminds me that I am just a raindrop, but if I do my part, and every believer does what they can, then we won't be able to stop the flood. So I pray. And I get excited that I'll get to change lives alongside you in South Africa. :)

    ReplyDelete